Friday, November 12, 2010

J’aime mon carré



I grew up knowing what Hermès was.  From an early age I could spot an orange box from a mile away.  For women in my family, Hermès scarves were a staple to any outfit.  I can remember many windy fall days when my grandmother wore one as a kerchief, à la Jackie O.  These bold scarves are one of the most iconic accessories I can think of.  Each tells its own story.  Colors and themes change each season, and with it brings about individual memories. And, that oh that orange box! 
Today, the eponymous brand is trying to reach a younger demographic with the launch of their new site - j’aime mon carré. Young women from around the globe are photographed wearing scarves their way.  28” x 28” of Parisienne silk worn as a turban, as a belt, even Rambo style.  Personally, I think this is a major success on behalf of the brand.  The images show scarves as attainable, wearable - not as pristine articles perfectly creased from the box.  Recently, after reading Cathy Horyn’s New York Times piece about the resurgence of my grandmother’s scarves, I saw the girl above, walking on the upper east side.  Success Hermès!  I cannot wait to see how others adorent leur carrés.

No comments:

Post a Comment