Thursday, November 18, 2010

Your very own boutique...


Boutiques.com is the much buzzed about fashion shopping site from Google.  The site boasts celebrity endorsements of Carey Mulligan, the Olsens, and designers alike.  It is a hybrid of ShopStyle, StyleCaster with a little bit of StyledOn in the mix.  The idea is that you can shop in celebrity, designer, socialite, and blogger curated boutiques.  Note, you cannot actually buy anything off of Boutiques.com, rather you are redirected to an e-commerce site for purchase.  
Curious as to what all of the hype was about, I created my own "boutique".  Boutiques.com attempts to asses my style through a slide show of runway and street-style images, and by selecting silhouettes, colors, patterns, and designers - first of those I "Love" then of those I "Hate".  Upon completion I have my very own "boutique"!
This is where Boutiques.com's quirks come into play. Survey selections and their recommendations are not in sync.  Items listed as my "hates" appeared the recommended column.  Also noteworthy, none of the designers listed as my "likes" appeared in my recommendations. 
There is a lot of room for growth at Boutiques.com. For starters, the incorporation of menswear to the site, including boutiques of established style authorities (editors, fashion consultants, stylists) as opposed to personal style bloggers, and uniting "likes" with recommendations, because now you have to "hate" a lot in order to get what you want in your boutique. Also, what is luring viewers/consumers back to boutiques.com?  Chances are those setting up boutiques already receive update emails from Net-A-Porter, J.Crew, Shopbop, Barneys, et cetera, what is going to make Boutiques.com stand out? 




Images courtesy of Google and Net-A-Porter
   

No comments:

Post a Comment