Friday, October 10, 2014

Friday nostalgia...





My memories of department stores are infinite.  I remember buying my Gucci 'Jackie' bag, with my own money, at Bergdorf Goodman, visiting the sparkling Judith Leiber handbags, as a child, at Neiman Marcus, the countless lunches at Bloomingdale's, attempting conversions in my head at Harrods, and walking down the grand staircase at Barneys New York, in LA.  I have eaten, purchased, returned, perused, and grown-up in department stores.  They were weekend destinations, bonding excursions, and education lessons (learning about fit, fabric, designers, etc). 
Recently department stores have lost their luster, designers have pulled their wares in favor of opening their own shops and e-commerce has allowed the consumer to purchase in their PJs at all hours of the day and night.  Business of Fashion ran a story about how department stores are trying to gain their customers back through the three R's - reliability, renovation,  and  maintaining their relevance in society.  Its a great read on the future of retail and shopping.  






image courtesy of BusinessofFashion.com

      
  

No comments:

Post a Comment